I am interested in forming a HAW chapter in the greater NYC metropolitan area. If you are a HAW supporter in New York, Connecticut, or New Jersey who would like to be on a contact list for possible actions, information sharing, alerts, etc., please write me back. Our first chance for a joint activity is to form a contingent at the Jewish Voices for Peace protest outside the offices of Senators Schumer and Gillibrand this Monday, October 6, see below. I will be there with our banner--let's stand up for Palestine, and stand up as historians!
Looking forward to hearing from many of you, and please feel free to forward to any other historians you know, let's make this contingent as big as possible,
780 Third Ave (between 48th and 49th Sts)
Monday, October 6
11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (for as long as you can)
Let's tell our Senators and the broader community:
Israel's ongoing human rights violations are absolutely unacceptable!
US financial support for Israeli human rights violations is entirely unacceptable!
Among Israel's more recent human rights violations and war crimes are:
- Arbitrary raids
- Arrests and detentions of Palestinians— sometimes for months or years— without trial
- Mass confiscations of Palestinian lands and home demolitions
- Bombings and assassinations of civilians in Gaza, in homes, mosques, beaches, hospitals and UN schools
We demand that our Senators hold hearings to apply to Israel the provisions of US law (Foreign Assistance Act, Leahy Law) that require Congress to cut off US aid to a country's armed forces that have committed a "gross violation of human rights."
Our actions will include:
- Holding signs with our messages on a picket line
- Simulating a mock check-point
- Reading the names of the Palestinians killed by the IDF in Gaza
- Music from the great Dave Lippman and the irresistible Rude Mechanical Orchestra (invited);
- Street theatre of all types
- A rally at the end of the day
- Handing out our leaflets and talking to passersby—and more!
CO-SPONSORED by Jewish Voice for Peace/NY and Jews Say No! ENDORSED BY Adalah NY; CODEPINK NYC; Defense for Children International Palestine; Direct Action Front for Palestine (DAFP);Granny Peace Brigade; JVP-Westchester; Middle East Crisis Response; Palestinian Rights Committee of Upper Hudson Peace Action; Palestine sub-committee, National Lawyers Guild; Northern Manhattan Neighbors for Peace and Justice; SJP SUNY New Paltz; WESPAC Foundation; WE WILL NOT BE SILENT (list in formation]
Department of History
Franklin & Marshall College
Lancaster PA 17604-3003
For scholarly, political, and musical writings go to:
For all kinds of useful material, including Portside and the Radical History Review, go to the website of the Post-Capitalist Project: